Is your business ready to start sending invoices? Generating invoices in the SumUp App is one way to provide your customers with quick, easy, and contactless payments. Here’s our step-by-step process for creating an invoice in the SumUp App:
- Open up the SumUp App on a smartphone or tablet.
- Tap “More” on the right-hand side of the bottom menu.
- Select “Invoices”, then tap the "Create Invoice” button.
- On the New Invoice page, you can customize the details of that specific invoice
- The top section includes the Invoice Details. Tap on “Invoice #” to edit your invoice number and date. From here, you can customize each line as needed.
- The top line is your Invoice Number. The default Invoice Number will be a sequential continuation of your previous invoices. If you’d like to create a custom invoice number series, tap on the invoice number and enter in the new series. The next new invoice you create will continue that series.
- The second line is the Issue Date of your invoice. If you are creating an invoice to send at a future date, you can tap on the second line to customize the date.
- The third line is the Due By time frame. The Due Date (see below) will automatically change when you select a preset Due By time frame. You can select a preset between Due in 8 Days, 14 Days, 30 Days, Today or set a custom time frame.
- The fourth line is the Due By date. The Due Date will automatically change when you select a preset Due By time frame (see above). If you are creating a custom Due By time frame, you can tap on the fourth line to customize the due date.
- The second section includes the Customer Details. Tap on “Add Customer” to add your customer’s information. Here, you can enter your customer’s name, address, the customer’s EIN/Tax ID (optional), and email address. You can also tap the blue plus icon to import existing contacts from your phone and automatically add their information to the invoice.
- Once you’ve added a customer’s information, you can save them as a contact in the SumUp App to save time for invoices sent in the future. This is especially helpful if you have recurring or regular customers. You can always edit or delete any information you have saved from customers and their transactions
- The third section includes the Order Details. Tap “Add Item” to add the products or services included in the order.
- Tap the Description field to add the name or brief description of the goods or services being sold, then tap the Price field ($0.00) on the right to add the price.
- You can adjust the product quantity being sold by tapping on the plus/minus icon underneath the description.
- Finally, you can add the Tax Rate for that individual product. Tap the drop-down menu to select your tax rate. Different tax rates can be applied to different products.
- Need to add another item to the invoice? Tap “Add Another Item” and repeat the same process.
- Want to see what your invoice will look like? In the top right-hand corner, you can click “Preview” to see how your invoice will look to your customer before you send it. To close the preview, press the X on the top-right corner of your screen.
- Once you’re ready to send the invoice to your customer, tap the “Send Invoice” button to customize the email that will accompany your invoice. Tap the blue plus icon to add the email address you’d like to send the invoice to. You can also add a custom message that will appear in the email to your customer. If there are any other attachments you’d like to include, (e.g. photos, documents, etc.) you can tap the Attachments button to add them to your invoice email. Once ready, tap “Send invoice”.
- All done! You’ll see a green checkmark on your screen to confirm that the invoice was sent to your customer, and you should now see the invoice marked as SENT in the main invoice history menu.
Next step: How getting invoices paid works